I think every Malaysia can agree to the fact that we have our own language. We call it the Rojak language or also known as Manglish. Yes, Malaysia's official language is Bahasa Melayu. However, we also speak Chinese, Tamil, and English. At times there could be all four languages in one sentence. Basically, the Rojak language is a mix of all these languages. Sometimes our sentences can be of one language however the meaning of the sentence might differ slightly.
Besides having the mix of languages, we, the people from Peninsula Malaysia also tend to use the word 'lah' a lot (if it is even considered a word) whereas in Sabah and Sarawak they use 'bah'. The foreigners would usually question what 'lah' actually mean and usually I would explain that it is just a word us Malaysians tend to use. Here are a few examples of sentences us Malaysians use:
- Where can like that one?
Explanation: It basically means how is it possible for it to be that way? - Don't be so sombong lor.
Explanation: It means to not be so snobbish. The word 'sombong' is from the malay language whereas 'lor' is the chinese slang. - Anne, one mee goreng mamak tapau.
Explanation: It means that someone is calling the person in charge to pack some noodles for them. 'Anne' is the Tamil word for brother, 'mee goreng mamak' is a type of fried noodles that is usually cooked by the Indian-Muslim restaurants whereas 'tapau' is the Chinese word for pack. - Just do whatever you want lah.
- Die loh, I haven't finish my homework. Must pass up today.
Explanation: I am going to be in trouble. I have yet to finish my homework and we have to hand it in today.
Interesting isn't it to know about us. Here's a short video by Jinnyboy tv.
No comments:
Post a Comment